Saturday 2 June 2012

RECIPE: Natural Hair moisturiser

Ok...i'm hoping this isn't just me but i find that I can never be happy with any store bought hair moisturising product simply because it does not work on my hair. And after two years of experimenting and trying out different things, I took it upon myself to learn how to make my own.

Reasons why home made products may be better suited to your hair

1) The ingredients will be completely natural. You don't need to worry about harsh 'sulfates' or preservatives that may harm your hair strands.
2) The ingredients are usually cheap.
3) The recipe can always be adjusted to suit your hair type.
4) It is usually petroleum free so you can go put your tub of BLUE MAGIC in the bin!!! 



RECIPE
½ /part Vegetable glycerin
½ part rosewater (or normal water)
3 drops of rosemary or peppermint or eucalyptus oil to inhibit mold growth. (this can be substituted for any essential oil of your choice)

Combine ingredients in an spray bottle. Shake well with each use.you can adjust portions to fit your hair type. 
Moisture is the key to growing afro-carribbean hair so I moisturise my hair daily and wear a lot of protective styles. I also use a leave in conditioner as well as a detangler when combing through my hair.

Note: This moisturiser will work for natural AND relaxed hair as afro-carribbean hair IN GENERAL tends to be very dry.


Rosewater can be substituted for water if you cannot get rosewater from your area. I usually order mine from Ebay and I use it because I love the scent.
My hair is super dry so i use 1/2 part glycerine. Glycerine is a humectant (it draws moisture in from the air) so for me, I need quite a bit but not enough to make my hair greasy. If you feel that you only need light moisture, then you do not have to use as much glycerine as I do.
Other humectants include honey  and castor oil. Sometimes I use honey instead of glycerine, sometimes I use both. It really depends on your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment