Thursday 7 June 2012

Black people with blonde hair

So my sister and I were hanging out with our friends recently after she had her hair done, she'd gone from having jet black hair to a blonde/light brown weave. On one hand, she received lots of compliments but on the other hand, lots of people who we thought were friends teased her and made fun of her brightly coloured hair...which I didn't understand because there are dark skinned people out there with rainbow coloured 'smartprice' weaves who look more ridiculous than my sister and her blondish hair.
My sister and I
Granted, some black people look ridiculous with bright hair...i personally think that it depends on your skin tone. Its not necessarily a 'light skin dark skin' thing because my sister and I are similar shades but I would look ridiculous with her hair colour....just like she can't pull off red hair as well as I can.

In my opinion, people should be able to do what they want (within reason) and not be criticised for it or be accused of being 'fake' when clearly they may just be trying out new things...(she's in that awkward teenage rebel stage) And I certainly dont think that it is right to judge others purely by the way they look. There's clearly a difference between having blonde hair because you think it will make you beautiful and having blonde hair because you felt like switching things up once in a while....

Personally i think...its not the thing that's wrong....its how you make use of it. Besides, I've heard of some black people having naturally blonde (or at least light brown) hair....are we supposed to criticise them for that???


2 comments:

  1. I think the criticism for black women going blonde comes from people thinking that when black women do this, they are becoming 'sell outs'. Like black women can't have blonde hair and if they do, they're turning there back on black people and embracing something that isn't the black cultural 'norm'. Those who have something negative to say about a black person making their hair blonde displays their ignorance because black people CAN have naturally blonde hair, just like any other ethnicity! Yes, some black people do look ridiculous when they make their hair blonde, but for the most part, black people having blonde hair is not something that doesn't naturally exist. I say, as long as your hair is healthy, and you're happy with it, you just make it work for you! ---Peace, Love, and Locs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more!! (:
    xx

    ReplyDelete