Tuesday 12 June 2012

My hairdresser basically rejected me

So this is just going to be a post on how I started learning to do my own hair...
I went natural (stopped relaxing my hair) about 2 years ago...and before then, my hair had always been done by hairdressers. 
For certain reasons, I decided to stop getting a relaxer (for more info, check my post on why I went natural), And I thought it would be a good idea to chat to my hairdresser about it. I mean...I wasn't just gonna turn up one day with a fro' asking her to do my hair...some people dont like suprises like that.


So basically, she was doing my hair one day and she was combing through my hair... (well..attempting to). Because I stopped relaxing my hair, my roots had grown a few inches. I remember her asking me 'Why haven't you relaxed your hair yet?' 
and then I told her...
Then I noticed she'd stopped doing my hair. She spent the next 10-15 minutes trying to convince me that going natural would cause me to be hated and bullied and that I wouldn't be pretty. (cue sad music...)
Unfortunately for her, my mind was already made up. She finished braiding my hair in silence. And when she was done and I was about to leave, she said 'Don't come back to me because I can't handle your hair anymore'
At that point I was too angry to be upset so I was like 'Fine!!'


I knew going natural was gonna be tough at first..but I never really expected to get a reaction like that from my hairdresser. Anyways...I spent the next few months on youtube...literally. (It's amazing how much help and support is available on there) And gradually I learnt to take care of my natural hair.


Its funny I never really saw myself doing hair..ever and now I've gotten pretty good at doing my hair and sometimes I get paid for doing other people's hair. (which is a bonus not to mention the amount of money i've saved myself)


I personally believe that people have a right to do what they want. Relaxed or natural. I just don't think that people who choose to wear their hair naturally should be given any grief over it. And at the end of the day, it's that person's decision. I'm actually glad I don't have a hairdresser now, because I know exactly what I want for my hair and how to do it (in most cases). Also now I don't get headaches because someone braided or pulled my hair too tight. It just much easier for me now. Time consuming..yes...but better in the long run.


Nevertheless, I think more hairdressers (or at least afro carribbean hairdressers) should learn to be able to deal with BOTH relaxed and natural hair...because at the end of the day you're only gonna be increasing the number of clients that come to you.


Venting Over.



1 comment:

  1. Amen! I've had the same reaction from hair dressers. They either say no flat out or charge me an outrageous sum of money to get something simple done. I just started learning how to do my own hair (also by spending lots of time on Youtube--gotta love that site).

    ReplyDelete